Friday, April 11, 2014

Pastels and Bunnies and Eggs, Oh my!

A lot of people who come into our home ask me why I tend to decorate with a lot of black and white. There are many reasons for this. First, I want to BE Kourtney Kardashian. And I love almost everything about her black & white/neutral home. A close second to that reason would be because I think when you furnish with neutrals, or stick with a specific pallet, it allows you the freedom to throw in almost any color throughout your decor (i.e. artwork, accessories, pillows, and most importantly… HOLIDAY DECORATIONS). Other than Christmas, when decorations TAKE OVER the place, I hate when they don't gel or vibe with the rest of my home, or when they look out of place and scream "HEY I'M EASTER!" So having that neutral/black and white color scheme to go off of really helps tie everything together, even if you are using random colors or funky accents.

This year for Easter decor I can't get enough of the bright pastels. I need more of those in my life. I still love my felt egg banner from Target ($5) so hanging that over the mantle already adds the main pop of color. But to compliment it this year I brought out my green candlestick holders (used in many different ways at Christmas time) and stuck in some blue candlesticks. I love the neon green mixed with the muted green, AND they're a pretty sweet match to the banner.

Next I fluffed up my book stash next to the TV with a fun pink spine down at the bottom, that's a new coffee table book called "Making a House Your Home" and I love it. This year my mom went through her old Easter decorations and cleaned out stuff she doesn't want anymore. There was a small little ceramic bunny attached to a ceramic basket that I thought might be fun to detach and paint. So I did. GOLD. Instantly it took on new life.


























The little ceramic egg crate was a couple of bucks at Hobby Lobby. I love how it matches the blue candlesticks and books. See what I mean about the fun colors??


Also I'm pretty proud to say I think I found the perfect fake flower display. I've been searching for a while now to find a permanent floral arrangement for our bench nook table, something I can keep on there year round when there's no special holiday and when I don't have real flowers. But why do almost all fake flowers have to look so FAKE?! I wanted neutral, real-looking, fake flowers. Why is that so difficult? I finally stumbled upon this perfect little white peony (my favorite) display and I love it.

No comments: