Friday, February 21, 2014

Kitchen Bench Nook

There is a short, but significant, list of projects that Joel and I knew we would want done the very moment we laid eyes on our home. Today I am happy to report that we crossed another one off the list! This little spot when you first walk into our home has been practically screaming for a built-in bench nook ever since we moved in. Our large dining table wouldn't fit well in this space, and because we assume it was intended to be an eat-in kitchen area, we decided to make a cozy little breakfast nook. Joel loves to sit and chat with me while I'm in the kitchen, we've had a chair thrown in this spot since we moved in and it's gotten lots of use so I knew a little bench nook would be the perfect long-term solution.

We drew up a couple of designs, showed my dad, and the boys got to work making my vision come to life! While they were busy building, I got busy fabric shopping! I knew I wanted bold black and white stripes, even pursued a couple of other options, but found a great and affordable indoor/outdoor black and white stripe fabric on buyfabrics.com. The fabric is perfect, so durable and easy to clean! I got in touch with my upholstery wizard, he came and took measurements, and quickly delivered these beautiful cushions. When I say he is a wizard, I mean it. These cushions are the most perfect fit, so snug in the space, and the perfect amount of thickness. They zip and unzip so I can take them right off for cleaning. The man in a genius.

I am obsessed with how the bench turned out. The boys framed it out so there's some dimension and character as well as added my special request of a little "decor shelf" on the edge. What will I put in it? The verdict is still out, but I love the little extra touch of decor it brings. Did I mention the tops lift up and provide me with tons of storage space? They do. We've already gotten tons of use out of this bench, and I know we will for years and years to come! Not to mention I now no longer feel like there's a big meaningless empty space when you first walk into our home. Once again I am so so thankful for a husband and dad who work so hard to make my dreams and visions become a reality. I think we make a pretty good team, huh? : )

No comments: