Friday, October 4, 2013

It's Fall at the Hendi's!

I think we can officially say that fall is here in the great state of Arizona! It's around this time every year that something inside me says to myself "oh yeah, THIS is why you live here." It's gorgeous outside, we have the windows open and AC turned off more often than not, it's way too cold to have the AC in your car on, you can be outside for more than 5 seconds without melting... it's wonderful. And of course, fall outside means it's also fall INSIDE. A couple of weekends ago I asked Joel to get my tub labeled "fall decor" out of his shed and when I looked inside I was utterly disappointed. I had a couple fake pumpkins and a couple of tea towels... not gonna suffice. Last year when we were in a smaller space it was obviously important to keep holiday decor to a minimum, well not this year people. I quickly ran out in search of a few more things and this is what I came up with... enjoy!
One thing I love about decorating with pumpkins for fall is that there is so much you can do with them! Buy fake ones, buy real ones, paint them, add some glitter... you just can't go wrong. I love mixing the texture and look of real pumpkins with things like metallics and glitter... adds a little something extra that's for sure. That wicker pumpkin we found last year at Goodwill.
This real orange pumpkin you see here with glitter... that's a Hobby Lobby knock-off. I'm too cheap to justify spending $17.99 on the real thing from HL so I went and made my own. Pumpkin = $1.99 and glitter = free. Now, I WILL have to re-make this ever year so maybe buying the original is worth it? : ) Should I go back and get it? It's gorg. Ugh.
My GLASS pumpkin! I feel like Cinderella with a glass slipper, only it's my glass pumpkin. Hey, her carriage is a pumpkin, right? Anyway this thing is my prized possession. Found it at Walmart for 5 bucks... everybody go get one! Carried it so carefully to the car, buckled it in with a seat belt (maybe) and got it safely all the way home UNTIL... I tried to carry too many things at once and completely dropped the bag containing my glass pumpkin. Shattered into a million pieces in our carport. I can't say for certain but I'm pretty sure I used some choice language and shed some tears. I sent Joel an urgent text and he called me from work right away asking what was wrong. I said, "I bought this really cool glass pumpkin and dropped it and it shattered into a million pieces!" To which he responded "BABE are you serious? I thought something horrible happened!" Ummm..... "Something horrible DID happen!" I said. And then I think he hung up on me. But not before he told me I could go buy another one... that man knows what's important in life.

Ok and my prized possession sits on top of my other prized possession... a handmade felt runner with embroidered pumpkins on it!! Is that not the cutest thing? The Mitchell ladies picked it up for me (still don't know why- so nice!) at a little shop in their grandparents town... I love it. Did I mentioned the glass pumpkin is filled with fall scented pinecones?? Um.. amazing.
And last but not least you know I love when holiday decor can be found around the whole house... so here's how it's representin' in the kitchen. The tea towel to the left is also a gift from the Mitchells... this was Jamie and Julie and Jenn's Grandmothers and it's also got some embroidery work and the towel on the right was a gift from Kristin last year.

1 comment:

Julie said...

Gorgeous! So glad you have a bit of Ohio and our Gran represented. :)