Saturday, August 24, 2013

Personal Pinterest Problems


Many of you know I am not the biggest fan of Pinterest. Ever since I had my epiphany regarding blog stalking and wrote this blog post about it I have tried hard to stick to my convictions, and avoid getting my inspiration solely from what other people are doing (which really isn't inspiration anyway). While this does contribute to my distaste for Pinterest it is not the #1 problem I have with the site.

My main problem with it is this: People create board after board after board and pin pin pin only to do what with it all...? Let it sit there and do nothing. I rarely find follow-through with what people pin on Pinterest. All the "home-made windex" this and "home-made lotion" that... come on, never gonna happen. The endless DIY projects you're "waiting" to do when you finally get that dream house, or better yet, the DIY projects you and I both know you will never do simply because reality, time, and energy will never permit. The clothes we will never be able to afford or more importantly justify. What future dream-world are we living in? I think that's just it... in some small subtle way Pinterest prevents us from living in the NOW. From having an idea, thinking of something, and actually DOING it. I have a feeling if people spent less time "pinning" and more time actually DOing, they wouldn't have anything left to pin! Because they would actually be living life rather than just "pinning" it.


I would much rather be out in the world letting inspiration naturally come to me than sitting in front of my computer "pinning" from the other people who already have. Where is the fun in that?? I don't maintain this imaginary online holding tank of everything I think of only for it to sit there and never be used. I make it happen. My problem with Pinterest is not only that it makes copying and unoriginality that much more accessible, but more importantly that it is a distraction from the real live creativity that is happening around us.


Many of you are probably reading this thinking to yourself (or yelling at me through the computer screen) "I'm a proud Pinterest Pinner gosh dangit!" And people please hear me, that is fiiiiiiine, I'm happy you've found Pinterest to be inspiring and fun- really I am! But I guess if you're going to remain a Proud Pinner, I challenge you to actually DO the things you pin. Like now, this week. Pick a project you've pinned and actually accomplish it. I promise you that when you do you will get 10x the satisfaction than if you just let it sit there on Pinterest. I also challenge you to take a break from being "inspired" by Pinterest, because I venture to say that true genuine raw inspiration does not exist in the collection of completed projects and concepts that fill the pages of Pinterest. Inspiration comes from the way that we organically interact with the world around us.


Listen, in no way shape or form am I telling any of you to stop pinning or enjoying Pinterest. Do what ya gotta do! It's just a common question I get asked, if I use Pinterest, and I figured it's about time I share my opinion. Do you agree? Disagree? I welcome your input and feedback in the comment section... but don't post anonymously just because you disagree : )

No comments: