Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Ring... take 2. His ring.



















The boy gets to surprise the girl with the ring, right? Not good enough for me. I don't think it's very fair to the boy! No element of surprise or a special gift?! Boooooo. Joel & I talked about what he wanted in a ring and we've been looking into a few different options for a while now. After going back & forth and back & forth over what he really wanted, the one and only thing he could decide on was they he wanted something simple and thick. After looking at a few examples of these "simple & thick rings" I decided to take it upon myself to make it happen for him.

I looked into having both of our purity rings melted down and made into a new ring. I found a place to do it for a reasonable price and jumped on it. I decided to have the inside engraved with "Where you go I'll go" a piece of scripture from Ruth that was written in one of the first engagement cards I received. It only took a few days and it turned out beautifully! A simple, thick, manly ring that carries so much significance and value and you can't beat the fact that it is totally customized. My original plan was to wait to give it to him until closer to the wedding. But of course that man I am marrying happens to be a tad bit impatient when it comes to stuff like this and had already begun asking me "When can we go look a rings?! When are we gonna go get myyyyy ring??" I decided that I probably couldn't put this off long enough and still keep it a surprise, so I jumped the gun and gave it to him early. Sure enough he's just as obsessed with it as I am : )

Both of our rings were made of the same sterling silver material and all I know is we've worn them 365 days a year since middle school and they held up very well, so I was confident in knowing that this would be just as sturdy and durable of a ring for a good amount of time. Plus it seems like almost every married man over the age of 40 has gone through at least 3 rings by that point, so even if this doesn't last a lifetime I figured it'll still be cool for a while.

Oh boy I cannot even wait to put this ring on his finger on January 7th!

4 comments:

bz said...

love love LOVE it - what a perfect way to symbolize your love and commitment!

janae said...

I love it. So simple and manly. Perfect!

Unknown said...

I'm so glad it worked! I know how hard you worked to make it happen! I love it!

Deb said...

Perfect! Love the melting together of your purity rings and that passage is one of my faves.