Saturday, May 31, 2014

New House Tour: Guest Room

Consider this room… not really finished. You see, when we moved in we made a "sort of guest room" by basically putting our old bed and some old furnishings in a room, along with all of our other junk. The room became a catch-all for unused decorations, keepsakes, junk, storage, etc. But hey, it had a bed and a place for people to sleep. My business partner recently got married and moved into a new apartment, and since we really don't have an on-going use for a guest room we decided to offer up the bed, bedding, headboard, and some other things that were in there. Leaving that room practically empty. Well, now, just a few weeks after doing that, we find out my sister will be in town home from the Dominican Republic for 2 weeks, which left up scrambling to piece back together a guest room. Since she'll be staying here for an extended amount of time we wanted to make sure the room felt put together and not like our "catch-all" room anymore. So this was a good excuse and good motivation to get our act together and put together a real room!

However, since this probably won't be a permanent guest room and since it's not always needed as one we figured we probably shouldn't spend too much time or money investing in decorating or furnishing it. This my friends is when having said catch-all/junk room is so beneficial… because with the exception of the comforter and curtains this entire room was furnished/decorated with pieces we already owned that have been sitting around waiting for a purpose (like most of the stuff we own). Our home is filled with things that were bought for a certain space or purpose that I find ways to re-use or repurpose for another. This is when my "hoarding", as Joel calls it, really pays off. For example, all of the pillows, artwork, the luggage ottoman, side tables, etc. are left over pieces that were used at another time in another space, and now (because I've KEPT them) they have a new home, and I didn't have to spend money putting a room together. Sigh, the beauty of mixing and matching.
I have about a billion wire baskets that I buy every time I see one… this one came from a flea market and it was rusting on the bottom so I decided to slap some coral spray paint on it and call it a day.
If I were to run away with any furnishing I currently own it would be these curtains. I loooooove these curtains. For many different reasons… the style of course. They are a linen-ish cream color with subtle white stripes stitched in them (look at the stitch detail!). But mostly the PRICE. This PAIR of curtains was only $25! I'm sorry, but good quality curtains are usually $25 for one panel, so needless to say I was thrilled when we found these bad boys for so cheap. I love how light and airy they make the room feel.
So anyway there's the guest room! For now anyway. We're ready for you, KB! And any other visitors who want to stay with us : )

No comments: